General Motors announced their plans to renovate approximately 110,000 square feet of the GMRENCEN into an immersive automotive experience. This “modern makeover” will span sections of the podium level and current GM Showroom and extend part of the complex outwards toward Jefferson Avenue. You may even see some changes to the exterior of the Detroit People Mover Renaissance Center station.
The brainchild of GM Design and their partners at CBRE, Neumann Smith Architecture and EWI Worldwide, this renovation will be a true reflection of GM’s position as a leader in the automotive industry and Detroit.
Here’s what you can expect:
- Exterior updates that will serve as a beacon to draw people to the building
- Interior updates to the central area that will create a more open and inviting gathering space
- Curated spaces that will feature rotating vehicle displays – mixing heritage models, concepts and current products
- Interactive experiences that combine physical and digital elements – informing and teaching about GM brands and the design and engineering process
- Progressive design that walks you through GM’s past, present and future
Construction is expected to begin this summer and be completed before the end of 2018.
Keep your eye on gmrencen.com for updates, key milestones and more information.