By: Rachel Dybicki, a lifelong marathon fan and Detroit Free Press/Chemical Bank Marathon event manager.
Have you ever considered running a half-marathon? This is your chance! The 41st running of the Detroit Free Press/Chemical Bank Marathon is coming this October 20 & 21!
Join the journey now to run the only marathon and half-marathon to cross international borders twice. The international registration deadline is on August 27 at 11:59 p.m. so do not miss your chance to join in on a part of Detroit’s history.
13.1 Reasons to run your first 13.1 in Detroit!
- The sunrise as you cross the Ambassador Bridge on your way to Canada. We’re convinced there is no better way to kick-off your first 13.1 than an international sunrise!
- The swag! Each runner receives a special race shirt (check out our Facebook for a sneak peak of the shirt), distance sticker, race wrap and #FreepMarathon wristband.
- Going into the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel in Canada, traveling the only underwater mile and coming out of the tunnel in the United States with major GMRENCEN views.
- Exploring Detroit- You will pass multiple Detroit landmarks and locations including the Spirit of Detroit, historic Corktown, Belle Isle and Indian Village.
- Each mile holds something different than the last. You will spot multiple course entertainment stations, spirit stations and fluid stations- all guaranteed to keep you entertained and hydrated.
- You will be supported by your fellow runners during the whole race. There is a strong sense of community and passion that can’t be found anywhere else. Plus, you’ll be joined by 26,000 of your newest running friends.
- Volunteers! Along the course, you will spot our volunteer staff. They are kind, helpful, supportive and ready to give you your well-deserved medal at the finish line.
- Conquered, the Official Marathon Afterparty! Once you finish your run, join your running peers at Conquered and enjoy live entertainment, a cold beer, food trucks and more.
- Our social accounts help keep you informed and excited! Follow along for reveals, countdowns and giveaways- Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
- That feeling at the start line before you start on your 13.1 journey. You and thousands of your new friends will gather on Fort Street and prepare for an adventure of a lifetime. The music, emotions and excitement stick with you through all the miles.
- Not willing to pay $79.99 + shipping for your digital race photos? Tired of seeing race images with watermarked images all over? Yeah, you don’t need to worry about that with us! Every runner will receive FREE RACE PHOTOS to celebrate the miles!
- That finish line feeling! Crossing the finish line and becoming a part of something way bigger than yourself.
- A lifetime of knowing you ran 13.1 miles and you can cross that off your bucket list.
.1. Earning that post race bling everyone is raving about and bragging to your co-workers on Monday!
Not sure about running a half marathon? We have a race for every pace!
Registration is open for all races! Join our 5K, 1-Mile and Kids Fun Run on Saturday, October 20 or our Marathon, International Half-Marathon, U.S.-Only Half-Marathon or Marathon Relay on Sunday, October 21.